slashangry

dawg I heard you like attachments so we put a murderluge in yo dildo phone, so you can gyros while you fuck robots

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Not really spam at all, actually.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ishraviel

PostSubject: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:42 am

I wanted to throw a question at Calli, Temp and any other current or former Red Mages out there since I'm coming up on the big seven five: Merits?
I was going to dump merits immediately into Para and Slow 2, but would it be wiser to merit Convert recast first? Also, how useful have you found Bio/Dia 3 to be, if at all and is there any point at all to Magic Acc up (does it apply to debuffs)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callisto

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:54 am

Magic Acc merits are the shit, and yes they work on nukes, debuffs, and possibly even enspells(this is harder to confirm, but my Enblizzard is the least resisted generally).

Mine are:

Group 1

Convert Recast x3
Ice Accuracy x3
Earth Accuracy x2
Wind Accuracy x2

Group 2

Slow II x3
Para II x3
Blind II x2
Phalanx II x2

For Elv the 1 minute off of Convert makes a pretty big difference, but it's not a must. I do the heavy duty DoT solo stuff so Bind accuracy is very important, otherwise I would go with 3 Slow and 2 Ice, for party/event play Slow is typically the most important thing you can land.

For group 2's, Bio III is really only useful for DoT soloing to cut time off of kills, and even then it's only really decent if you put 3+ merits into it. Slow II is the absolute shit, that's the #1 must-have for group 2's to me. I like focusing on my debuffs so I spread them around a bit, Para II is nice if for no other reason than the added MAcc that extra merits give compared to Para I. Blind isn't as important as Para/Slow really, but I still like having/using it.

Phalanx II is decent but not really a must, you could unlock Dia III instead, which is nice for big mobs, especially zergs, but the MP cost on it is usually too high to use on plain fodder mobs like Dynamis/merits.

As far as what to get first, Slow/Para II for sure, then MAcc merits, then Convert, then the rest.

Edit: If you were to do Dia III, I would recommend putting at least 2 merits into it, but not more than 3. The 30 second duration of level 1 makes it a pain to keep up on a bigger mob like Kirin. And 8/8 Enfeebling is possibly the most important in terms of RDM merits, if anything I would knock all that out before any of the job merits.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
isladar
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:04 pm

8/8 Enfeebling is like when you got DRK to 75 and I started saying ZOMG MERIT YOUR WEAPON YOU WILL LOVE IT and you kinda pooped around and now all of a sudden you're so happy with your 8/8 Scythe merits.

I would recommend Phalanx II over Dia III simply because having a RDM with that merited makes them a tanks' best friend. I love RDMs who cast it on me in sticky situations, because lord knows I'll be tanking at some point.

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:08 pm

Yeah it's useful, however we look like we're going to have a few SCHs, and typically their Accession + Phalanx will be stronger than your Phalanx II. The time where Phalanx II is really nice is kiting, it has a very long casting range and is much easier to land on a running tank.

I would say at least for you(Ish) that you'll want to go for a more party-oriented setup like I have since you're likely to see a good amount of action as RDM, especially when we first get going.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ishraviel

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Enhancing it is. Really, I should probably look at our event setups before putting too much thought into this, since I'll likely be using my RDM more for event/group shit than for soloplay. So I'll go check out the other new thread and hope that some kind of player/job list shows up based on event and whatnot so I can have an idea of whether Dia 3 would be better than Phalanx 2 and such. Not that this is a hint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callisto

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:20 pm

I would also say get with Jyo on it. When I'm not on RDM basically you two are going to be the show regarding RDM, typically when there are 2 'main' RDMs for things(Alexeina was mine on Ramuh before he took a break from the game), I knew that he had capped Phalanx II, so I didn't bother with putting more into mine.

Short story, one of you do Dia, one do Phalanx, everyone goes home happy. But yeah, Enfeebling 8/8 before anything else. I'll be moving my RDM guide over to these forums soon, it's kind of a long read but I can point you to the important parts if you want to look it over here and there, and if you have any questions regarding gear setups for specific things and whatnot feel free to ask at any time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ishraviel

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:31 pm

So would that be like a teams setup, with each RDM working a different party or would it be separated into offensive/defensive capabilities, with one RDM doing debuffs/nukes and the other buffs/healing? I've found that a regular rotation of buffs/debuffs is pretty easy to maintain, but once you throw healing into the mix it all goes to hell. Also, I'm assuming that I should talk to Temp about Dynamis unless we'll be doing that shit in-house. I guess that last statement was actually a question.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callisto

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:37 pm

Usually we would have the buff-centric RDM in the tank party, then the other one in a DD or BLM party, the other would focus more on the sleeping/debuffs. That would usually be me just because I had more debuffing gear at my disposal.

We would aim to do Dynamis in-house if we can field at least 15 regularly, I still would like to figure out a good night for it so that we can both get a good crowd, and let the Ding74 members attend our runs and theirs. I was thinking Monday/Friday(probably only 1 night to start) but that's something we can work out post-move when I see how many shells run on each night.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
isladar
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:13 pm

Ding primarily runs on Tuesdays.. they supposedly go Saturdays but I hardly ever see it. I was thinking Limbus would go like.. ugh, edited, I'm bunk with days? With one day for Dynamis once we can start it going, more when we have the numbers. I'm still trying to get a solid idea on when other shells go.. Tuesday/Saturday are the big days on Caitsith, with I think a shell or two doing Wednesday/Sunday. I haven't been able to find the calender site that Vanguard used to use.

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Mon/Fri seemed good since that would allow people who went on Tuesday to make Friday runs, but I wasn't sure how many people would prefer their Friday nights off for RL stuff, so that would be something to work out.

For Limbus probably Wed/Sat or Wed/Sun.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
isladar
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:24 pm

That could work. I'd want Sunday afternoon to be our fun / non instanced / what to people need day, since we can get ballers numbers.

PostSubject: Re: Not really spam at all, actually.   

Back to top Go down

Not really spam at all, actually.
Page 1 of 1